£28000 - £37000 per annum
+44 (0)151 666 8970
18 days ago
£28,000 - £37,000 (dependent on experience and qualifications)
Piddlehinton (occasional travel to Winfrith)
The company is a leading international engineering, project management and services provider to the highly regulated nuclear, defence, oil & gas, and science & research industries. Their expertise has been developed over many years and is backed up by a highly trained, committed workforce and a wide range of specialist resources.
Mechanical Fitter/Operative Responsibilities:
- To work independently on plant systems
- To engage and learn skills to become a competent jetting operative
- To decontaminate plant, equipment and facilities
- To dismantle and size reduce plant and equipment
- To control, minimise and process radioactive waste to client requirements
- Preparation of work areas, materials and equipment
- To operate process plant and materials handling equipment in support of facility activities
- Experienced and qualified as a mechanical fitter.
- Able to fulfil the requirements to work in a radiological area and able to wear a respirator
- A flexible attitude to learning at work, capability and willingness to undertake a wide range of duties including the use of standard and specialist decommissioning tooling
- Medically fit to be able to be a Classified radiation worker
- Good level of intelligence and education, CSE/GCSE or equivalent, with knowledge of technical terms and commercial arithmetic with good keyboard skills
- Ability to work to written procedures in order to minimise risks to persons, property and environment
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a team
- Health, safety and environment awareness for industrial working
- Physical fitness and manual dexterity
- Experience of working independently on clients site(s)
- A general engineering, craft or building background and/or knowledge gained through experience and on the job training particularly with knowledge of pumps, filters, valves, compressors, pipework (steel & plastic) and welding.
- Knowledge of electrical and control systems, formal qualifications would be an advantage.
- NVQ Level 2 (minimum or working towards)
- Relevant security clearance for Nuclear Licensed sites
- Full UK driving license (preferable to have category B)
- relevant CSCS card discipline for construction sites
- Basic radiological awareness training
- Practical knowledge and experience of PPE and radiological monitoring systems
- Practical knowledge and experience of lifting/slinging operations
- Practical knowledge and experience of erection, operation and dismantling of temporary structures
- Good understanding of tooling and equipment and their safe application in the workplace
- Working conditions frequently require restrictive PPE/RPE, i.e. to work in air fed respirators and Kevlar suits for periods up to two hours.
- Radiation, contamination, chemical and other hazardous conditions as required to safe systems
- Ultra-High pressure water jetting operations as required
- Significant variances in working conditions, (hot and cold conditions)
- Working within a construction site environment
- To work at height/scaffold as required
- Work under close direction of Client as appropriate
- Flexibility required to facilitate working patterns driven by project requirements, including short duration of work on the clients site on both day and night shifts.
- ICA payable in accordance with HRI 5002 as relevant and dependent upon individual T&C’s
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis. Agency PAYE, Umbrella and CIS (if applicable) engagement models are also available, which will result in a different pay rate than advertised above.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.