£22 - £23 per hour
+44 (0)151 666 8972
4 months ago
6 months +
Our Client is a UK based technology and engineering Company, they provide smart infrastructure solutions to the highways, transportation, energy and utilities sectors.
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an experience Materials Technician to support them on a contract basis with a highways scheme they have in Preston.
The Preston Western Distributor Road is a new dual carriageway linking the M55 in the north to the A583 in the south. The client Lancashire County Council (on behalf of the City Deal) is delivering the scheme to support the North West Preston strategic housing area accommodating over 5000 new houses. The new road also improves access to the strategic road network and the Enterprise Zone site at Warton and the Westinghouse Springfield’s site at Salwick.
The Preston Western Distributor is approximately 4.3km long with a new Junction 2 on the M55. Other junctions along its length serve the new East West Link Road and the new Cottam Link Road, both part of the scheme. The East West Link Road (3.4km) and Cottam Link Road (0.8km) are both single lane carriageways. The scheme will also provide the opportunity for enhanced pedestrian and cycle routes by providing segregated off-road shared cycleway/footway connections to residential areas as well as with the existing Guild Wheel Cycle Route. The road also requires six major structures to be constructed, including two muti-span viaducts over the Lancaster Canal, Preston to Blackpool Railway and Savick Brook.
• Carry out a range of soils/aggregates and concrete laboratory tests
• Carry out a range of soil/aggregates/concrete in situ tests in a construction environment
• Carry out materials sampling and sample management
• Keep accurate and legible records of all works undertaken
• Keep accurate and legible administrative records
• Work to documented QA/QC systems include UKAS
• Works to published technical specifications and standards
• Identify and manage risk in all work activities
• Manage and maintain company equipment
• Manage and maintain company vehicles
• Liaise with client representatives on testing requirements
• Flexibility in location to suit operational needs
• Basic equipment calibration when required
• Must be dependable in order to cover clients needs
• Must be willing to learn and adapt to operational needs
•Sets and achieves high standards for themselves and for others, takes personal accountability for results, and monitors performance against preset objectives and performance standards
Striving for Continuous Improvement
•Challenges themselves and others to find new approaches to business issues, generates new ideas for improving performance and takes the business to new levels of performance and success
• Appreciates the impact of their decisions have on the commercial success of the business, and uses all their skills & influence to make Costain best in class in the market place
• You have good relationships built on an understanding of both your internal and external customers and you communicate professionally and competently.
Planning & Problem Solving
•Identifies, anticipates and navigates problems and obstacles to performance in an orderly and calm manner. Responds creatively to personal and team problems
Communicating and Influencing
•Communicates openly and honestly with others, listens to differing views and seeks to create a common understanding and agreement to proposed actions
• Collaborates successfully with others in pursuit of business goals, adapting quickly to different styles and roles, and encouraging others to contribute to their full potential.
•Leads by example – using personal enthusiasm and drive to create a dynamic environment in which individuals and groups are motivated to contribute to the success of the business.
•Sees the development of people as key to business success and ensures it is a key focus of management activity.
Safety & Environment
•Takes personal responsibility for ensuring that Costain is best in class in providing a safe, healthy and environmentally responsible workplace.
• Essential (minimum required) 2 years of relevant testing experience
• HND /HNC / NVQ in a relevant subject beneficial but not essential
• 3 to 5 years of variety of relevant testing experience
• CSCS Card: Required
• Driving Licence: Required
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis. Agency PAYE, Umbrella and CIS (if applicable) engagement models are also available, which will result in a different pay rate than advertised above.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.