£450 per day
+44 (0)151 666 8972
about 1 month ago
Our Client is a UK based Construction and Engineering Company, providing smart infrastructure solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK's energy, water and transportation sectors.
An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Design Manager to support them on a major redevelopment scheme at Gatwick Station.
Objectives of the role:
Work with and within the design management team at Gatwick Station Project (GSP) to deliver the Grip 6 (G6) subcontractor (SC) design for the Envelope and Cladding packages by realising the design opportunities and mitigating the design risks to ensure development of the Grip 5 (G5) design can be delivered effectively by the subcontractors to meet the strategy of the Gatwick Station Project.
Be conversant with current legislation, especially that which applies to health and safety, which is relevant to tasks being carried out including Safe by Design and CDM.
- Grip 6 Subcontractor Design delivery packages.
- Envelope, including, standing seam and ETFE roof, glazing and external cladding and associated doors.
- Internal cladding wall linings, both metal and composite.
- Wayfinding and signage
- Manage SC design progress against programme.
- Ensure the sub-contractor design is delivering as per programme, plan to mitigate any slippage ensure updated dates are understood and correct contractual mechanism raised.
- Ensure sub-contractor design is in line with sub-contract scope.
- Challenge the sub-contractor to ensure the design is done in the most efficient manner, both cost and programme and with the required quality.
- Setup and manage weekly design progress meetings with subcontractors, recording and distributing minutes. Also technical workshops where required.
- Manage distribution of design information to subcontractors.
- Distribute G5 design for review and inclusion in the detail design by subcontractors.
- Ensure incoming subcontractor design information is delivered in timely fashion and is of the required quality.
- Critically review subcontractors designs to ensure it meet the performance criteria set by the base information, completes the design as set out within the subcontractor’s design package and seek input from CRE-C to ensure it suits the intended construction methodology.
- Manage coordination subcontractor design.
- Work with the construction team and CRE to ensure that any site related input and on-site coordination of the design is undertaken, correctly reviewed and decisions are fed back into the design in a timely manner as not to delay the process.
- Coordinate proposals with the Design Team and ensure all comments and agreements are delivered in a timely manner STQ’s and SDR’s.
- Ensure interfacing designs delivered as part of separate packages are fully defined, owned, coordinated, and cover full scope of contractor design works. Management of Subcontractor Technical interfaces review (STIR) meetings.
- Ensure that key design procurement information is included in designing subcontract.
- Establish and support positive relationships and engagement with the key subcontractor designers.
- Working collaboratively with the Quality and Assurance teams and ensure designers apply the quality control procedures and materials acceptance process to achieve the highest quality of product possible.
- Collaborate in the Design Programme updates from Designers and Subcontractors design to ensure the information is presented on time to suit construction works.
- Contribute with the Commercial team in the preparation of enquiries for subcontract packages from a design perspective working closely with them and the management of the subcontractor packages. Work with the commercial team to ensure EWN’s and other contractual notifications are raised and have appropriate support material.
- Maintain professional working relationships with the Gatwick Station and Employer Teams and communicate well with them.
- Assist the Lead Design manager to identify key design risks and opportunities to improve the project performance.
Set up a reporting template to report weekly to the Project Manager on progress of the packages and works and be able to escalate the appropriate items at the appropriate times.
Key qualifications and experience
- Experience on working on various large scale building projects with experience managing multiple interfacing envelope and cladding packages
- Experience of working on or close to Network Rail assets and being familiar with Network Rail standards
- Experience of working on complex projects > £100k
- BIM level 2 understanding
- Chartered member of a relevant professional body
- Experience of working in a rail environment and or experience of delivering projects at a UK airport
- Experience of working on complex projects > £500m
- BIM level 2 knowledge Skills and Behaviours
- Must have a proactive “Can do” attitude
- Excellent communication skills at all levels
- Able to set and agree targets and hold individuals, teams, suppliers accountable for performance
- Able to provide respectful challenge and feedback to Clients, suppliers, senior managers and stakeholders
- Create a culture of openness and positive engagement
- Be comfortable managing changing requirements
- have a supportive and inclusive approach
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis. Agency PAYE, Umbrella and CIS (if applicable) engagement models are also available, which will result in a different pay rate than advertised above.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.