£25 - £28 per hour
+44 (0)151 666 8972
5 months ago
MAIN PURPOSE(S) OF THE JOB:
- To ensure that new roads and works to existing highway asset (subject to County Council legal agreement) are laid out and constructed in accordance with approved drawings, and to OCC and national design/construction standards and specifications;
- To assist the Principal Engineer in ensuring that high quality highway infrastructure is delivered and adopted as new highway asset by Oxfordshire County Council.
- To be responsible for ensuring that all relevant County Council policies, procedures, standards and guidelines are adhered to in relation to delivery of construction works to existing asset and new road developments and that any concerns are raised in accordance with these policies.
- To assist in management of County wide construction site inspection programme to ensure that all development sites are inspected on a regular basis and to co-ordinate the work of Assistant Site Inspector.
- Undertake inspection of construction works associated with new developments subject to Section 38, Section 278 and private road agreements, to ensure that works are in compliance with both County Council and national design standards;
- Autonomously carry out all aspects of construction site inspection of works in progress, including checking of setting out, checking compliance of both materials and workmanship with technically approved drawings and specification
- Make decisions on site that will directly reflect the legal position of Oxfordshire County Council in relation to enforcing Section 278 agreements. This in relation of formal notification to the developer of errors and defects, suspension of works and variation & additions.
- Respond to the changing priorities of individual construction sites, resulting in re-programming of work load plan, without recourse to line manager.
- Identify when construction material testing is required and arrange same accordingly, to ensure construction material used on site meet the appropriate national standards;
- Plan and independently manage own site inspection programme to ensure that all construction sites are monitored to the appropriate standard;
- Plan and co-ordinate county wide site inspection programme to ensure balanced work-load of both Site Inspectors in Road Agreements Team;
- Oversee work load and output of Site Inspector to ensure uniformity in site inspection routine and that county wide site inspection is managed concisely.
- Act as County Council representative on new development (Section 38) and existing asset highway schemes (Section 278) to provide sound advice to developers, contractors and consultants in relation to highway infrastructure construction techniques and standards, such that Oxfordshire County Council requirements are met;
- Maintain effective site records electronically, to record measurements taken, photographs and relevant diary entries for each site;
- Assist with carrying out detailed pre-condition surveys of existing highway asset, to include recording of all survey information electronically;
- Ensure that all works carried out within the existing highway network and in association with Section 278 agreements comply with the County Councils Health & safety Policies together with nationally recognised statutory controls and report/take enforcement action as appropriate;
- Assist with training and development of junior staff in relation to developing their knowledge of highway infrastructure construction techniques and the construction site inspection process;
- Attend works completion and end of maintenance period site inspections and assist with compilation and enforcement of remedial lists accordingly;
- To assist with the provision of technical input into scheme technical audit in order that development if construction site technique can be incorporated at design stage.
- Oversee the work of any agency site inspector staff as required
- Liaise with staff in the Road Agreements Team, Asset management and Traffic Teams in relation to their specific interest areas of the works.
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis (outside IR35 Determination). Agency PAYE and Umbrella engagement models are also available, which will result in a different pay rate than advertised above.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.