£30 - £35 per hour
+44 (0)151 666 8972
about 1 year ago
Principal Engineer in Transport Strategy and Development Group responsible for assisting and supporting the strategic development and operational delivery of a range of specialist subjects and professional disciplines which are of a complex nature and have extensive policy and service implications.
This will include developing Transport Strategy and Development Control and managing staff in delivering the Council’s Transportation Strategy and Policy function and to assist in maximising the funding available to the Service Area and other parts of the Council.
• Manage one member of engineering/technical staff in Transport Strategy and Development Control in the delivery of highway works, direction of consultants, information and recommendation to Planning on masterplans, strategic planning and delivery of funding / off site works.
• Attend Planning Committee to answer Members questions on Highway matters relating to comments made in the Planning Committee reports.
• Assist and support the Group Manager in dealing with
o Senior Directors of the Councils Highways Contractors on matters of contract negotiations, disputes and contract variations
o Senior Directors of the Councils Framework Consultants on matters associated with the management of the Framework contract
o operators (External Contractors and Senior TfL Officers) of the TfL London Highway Alliance contract
• Support the Group Manager on Transportation Strategy and Policy issues at Committee meetings, Members meetings, Local Forums, Residents/Business groups and providing professional/Technical guidance and advice relating to the service. This will include support at briefing sessions, preparation of briefing notes, Committee reports on a variety of complex technical, professional or general topics and responses to development sensitive questions from the council Members, officers and the public.
• Providing the strategic Highways and Transport advice for Development Control and responsible for the Council’s Transportation Strategy and Policy function to maximise the funding available to the Service Area and other parts of the Council.
• Support the Group Manager in developing the Local Implementation Plan (LIP) matters including drafting policy, stakeholder input and public consultation and giving advice on all transportation policy and strategy matters to officers, Members and external organisations.
• Support the group manager at Central Government Departments, national and regional bodies and partake in liaison meetings with professional staff from Transport for London, Crossrail, Network Rail and other external agencies on various topics or projects.
• Responsible for training and mentoring of staff in the group.
• Ensure that the work carried for which the post holder is responsible for is in accordance with required Council standards, standing orders, legal requirements, national and local objectives, and, that adequate monitoring and auditing processes are in place to achieve this.
Specialist high level knowledge in Transport Policy and Development Control with ability to utilise own research and develop ideas to respond to complex problems and situations
Transport Strategy and Development Control
Membership of relevant professional body would be an advantage
Educated to Degree Standard or equivalent technical Qualification in an appropriate Engineering/Transport discipline.
• Experience of working in project teams and broad knowledge of project management techniques /systems.
• Ability to demonstrate the requirements to solve problems and disputes.
• Ability to programme, control, monitor and deliver a large number projects simultaneously from inception to completion.
• Broad knowledge specifying, procuring and managing services/contracts and projects provided by external consultants/contractors.
• Ability to deal with confidential financial / land ownership and legal / technical matters in a professional manner.
• Experience and understanding of financial controls, budgetary monitoring, and Civil engineering contract finance.
• Broad knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation including the Highways Act, Traffic Management Act, Cleaner Neighbourhood Act, Public Health, Flood and Surface Water Management Acts .
• Detailed technical knowledge of general Highways and Civil Engineering Principles, design contracts and specifications.
• Knowledge and experience in London specific, Highway related policies, transportation strategy, traffic modelling, engineering design, external funding mechanisms and related legislation
• Knowledge and understanding of the Council’s Standing Orders and of local Government Legislation, Codes of Practice etc.
• In depth knowledge of Health and Safety legislation and Construction Design and Management regulations
• Ability to write complex technical and committee reports
• Knowledge and experience of CAD and Highways Management systems
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.