£20 - £22 per hour
+44 (0)151 666 8908
19 days ago
We are currently working with a Local Authority in Merseyside who are looking for a Highways Inspector on a contract basis. The main purpose of the role is to inspect highways assets to ensure that they are safe for public use, and ensure that the appropriate action is taken in respect to any defects identified.
- To undertake highway related inspections in accordance with the Highways Act 1980, the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991, , and Well Managed Highways Infrastructure – A code of Practice, and maintain and update all associated records.
- To ensure that all works and inspections are undertaken within the correct timescales and to the appropriate standards in accordance with current Council policy and guidelines, leading to the achievement of business and service targets.
- To log and report defects on assets such as, for example, carriageway and footway surfaces, street furniture, road markings and highway drainage (e.g. road gullies and linear drainage).
- To raise works orders as a result of undertaking routine Section 58 Inspections, claims investigations and serviceability inspections as part of ongoing highway maintenance activity.
- To investigate reports and complaints of highway defects received from members of the public and other sources, and taking action as appropriate.
- To assist with the establishment and implementation of a programme of inspections and investigations.
- To report emergencies in accordance with the Council’s emergency procedure.
- To use computer and hand held devices to support of the delivery of reactive maintenance utilising the Council’s asset management system, GIS and other appropriate software.
- To monitor, police and liaise with persons or bodies wishing to execute works on the Public Highway e.g. Statutory Undertakers (and or their representatives), Private Developers and Contractors.
- To ensure any obstructions or defective works on the highway are managed effectively. Where necessary raise Section 81 (New Roads & Street Works Act 1991) defect notices as a result of defective works or product identified during the course of undertaking any inspection.
- To liaise with utility Companies, Contractors, Members of the Public, Councillors, litigation representatives and claimants and to attend meetings as required.
- To prepare letters, statutory notices, reports, statements and other documents, serving such notices and attendance in court in accordance with relevant legal requirements.
- To assist the Highways Network Manager in their responsibilities in respect of performance improvement.
- To prioritise work in order to resolve highways related issues and enquiries.
- To comply with the relevant health and safety legislation, and to be proactive in dealing with incidents, hazards and defects etc which may compromise the health and safety or interfere with users of the public highway
- To attend court representing the Council to assist with the rebuttal of claims against the Highway Authority
- To liaise with the Highway Maintenance Operational Control Room (OCR) staff to ensure planning, operations and works are completed on time
- To assess, process and inspect approved highway licence applications such as, but not limited to, Section 50 licences, scaffolding licences, hoarding licences, cherrypicker licences etc.
- To ensure that actions of the Highway Inspectors assist in minimising claims and litigation opportunities by fully documenting all observations from site visits, investigations and inspections and ensuring appropriate actions are taken in accordance with documented procedures.
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.