£45000 - £55000 per annum
+44 (0)151 666 8972
about 1 year ago
Our Client is a specialist transportation planning/highway and drainage infrastructure design consultancy, they provide an integrated range of services to clients across the UK. An opportunity has arisen in their Manchester Highways Design Team for a Principal Highways Engineer.
The Principal Engineer will possess the necessary experience, knowledge and technical expertise to act as direct client contact and Project Manager / Project Lead on each commission entrusted to them. They must be conversant in post planning detail design skills on Infrastructure schemes, including but not exhaustive to the following, Highway and Drainage design, they will also need to be understand utilities, including the diversion and review process.
The key design skills will include delivery of the following:
- Highways Specification;
- Detailed Horizontal Design;
- Detailed Vertical Design (including cross sections and long sections, 3D modelling);
- Detailed Pavement / Footway design;
- Highway surface water drainage;
- Signing & Lining;
- Site clearance;
- Setting out;
- Street lighting;
- Kerbing, and
- Standard Construction Details.
The Principal Engineer will support business development within the North and will be expected to expand the company’s existing client base and build and enhance the company’s reputation in North and the South-East.
The Principal Engineer will be expected as a minimum to be able to fulfil the responsibilities outlined within the Staff Grades and Responsibilities sheet.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities associated with the role are as follows:-
- To be the principal point of contact on all project-related matters and to provide expertise and advice in all aspects of highway engineering and/or transportation planning;
- To bring together the necessary internal and external resources and skills required to fulfil the obligations of each and every commission to the budget and timescale agreed with the client;
- Support the Design production programme management within Manchester and the supporting offices. Will at times be required to lead production co-ordination meeting across the team.
- To liaise/meet with other consultants and external members of the project team where necessary to ensure co-ordination of information and resources;
- To liaise with the client to agree the project specification, the timescale, the fee and the terms of engagement;
- To liaise with the client to promptly report any issue arising during the undertaking of the project that has implications either to the brief or the timescale. Such implications are to be reported as variations and budget alterations are to be agreed with the client;
- To ensure that the project is undertaken to the specified budget and that all project-related fees and disbursements are accurately recorded and expediently recovered;
- To keep the Directors informed of all financial implications and risks associated with all commissions;
- To ensure that the company’s Quality Assurance procedures and delivery processes are adhered to on each and every commission.
- To have a full understanding of all the tools and techniques employed within the field of highway and infrastructure engineering ; abreast of the latest developments with respect to all the tools and techniques employed within the field of highway engineering and transportation planning;
- To have a full understanding of all local and national planning policies and guidelines insofar as they relate to transportation and development;
- To have a full understanding of, ensure compliance with and assist in the upkeep and refinement of the company’s Health & Safety Policy;
- To have a full understanding of, ensure compliance with and assist in the upkeep and refinement of the company’s Quality Assurance system;
- To be involved in staff recruitment and to actively mentor and assist in the professional development of more junior staff;
- To develop the business in the North office by proactively engaging in marketing activities and identifying future opportunities to enhance and expand the profile of the company;
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.