£31 - £40 per hour
+44 (0)151 666 8972
6 months ago
7 months +
Our Client is a UK based technical and engineering company, they provide smart infrastructure solutions to the transportation, energy and water sectors.
Due to a new contract award, they are currently looking to recruit a Site Engineer to support them on site on the A1.
The Regional Delivery Partnership is a framework contract with Highways England for the development, design and construction of capital road projects that form part of the Regional Investment Programme during Road Period 1 (2015 to 2020) and Road Period 2 (2020 to 2025). Our Client was awarded two lots; Lot 7 (East Region) & Lot 8 (North Region).
This temporary requirement relates to Lot 8 for the delivery of 3 schemes along the A1 corridor in Newcastle and Northumberland, with a combined value in excess of £600m;
Package B10 Schemes
A1 Scotswood to North Brunton – currently in construction
A1 Birtley to Coal House – construction March 2021 – end 2023.
A1 in Northumberland – construction end 2021 – late 2024.
There is an overlap with design and construction with the design coming to an end later this year and construction starting earlier this year. The design is being undertaken by our design partner Jacobs. The RDP Hub is the site compound and the Package B10 head office, which is located at Blaydon in Gateshead, and will serve both A1S2NB & A1B2CH schemes.
Scope of works
- Working with an integrated team of Costain and Jacobs personnel to develop the detailed design, delivery and handover of the allocated scheme
- Assist the team in the buildability input into the design for various aspects of the project predominantly road works focused including earthworks, drainage, surfacing and some structures
- Assist communications with various key stakeholders including but not limited to Newcastle City Council, Environment Agency, Natural England, etc.
- Support the commercial and planning teams with the development of cost forecasts and programmes for the development of budgets; delivery of works and monitoring of progress
- Work with various specialist suppliers during the detailed design / development phase and subsequently on site to ensure works are delivered on time and within Costain safety and quality standards
- Work with the Jacobs design team in developing the buildable solution to be constructed on site
- Assist the team to develop strategies for the delivery of the works considering access, temporary works and logistic constraints for your allocated section.
- Ensure works are supervised on site and delivered in accordance with the works information
- Liaise with the design team to proactively seek safe and efficient solutions on site should any unforeseen buildability issues arise during delivery.
- Be accountable for the quality of the constructed product by ensuring full compliance of the relevant quality documentation including Inspection and test plans
- Package management of subcontractors during detailed design and subsequently during construction
- Manage interactions between designers and on-site team to resolve outstanding design and technical queries during the construction phase
- Challenge and report any unsafe acts observed during project delivery.
- Preparation and review of safe systems of work including RAMS, permits, etc…
- Active participation in project improvement (including innovation, SHE and quality)
- Carry out records of work including site diaries, output monitoring, progress reports, quality documentation etc…
- Build effective relationships and support junior staff in their development
- Civil Engineering related qualification (HNC, HND, BSc MSc, BEng, MEng).
- Demonstrable experience delivering infrastructure projects.
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) mandatory.
- Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) preferable.
- Other relevant training (preferred includes Appointed Person, relevant lifting training, and temporary works co-ordination) to be listed on CV.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to manage and control tasks and lead a team
- Willing to mentor and develop junior staff
- Experience in some or all of the following: highways delivery in logistically challenging environments including earthworks, drainage, structures, surfacing and associated temporary works. Works in environmentally sensitive areas
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis. Agency PAYE, Umbrella and CIS (if applicable) engagement models are also available, which will result in a different pay rate than advertised above.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.