£55000 - £60000 per annum
+44 (0)151 666 8908
3 months ago
We have a great opportunity for a Highways Design Manager to join one of our clients in Birmingham. The Highways Design Manager will be responsible for the development and management of the highways teams within Design Services office in Birmingham. They will ensure that projects developed are technically robust in conjunction with their team and other disciplines within the organisation, the supply chain and the client. They will lead project management, risk management and will be technically accountable for the development of asset management strategy, value management, highway design and improvement schemes.
Tasks/Responsibilities as follows:
- Leading more technical and complex designs to ensure projects are robust and are buildable.
- Provide some technical advice and management for other Design Services offices.
- Ensuring that team leaders are provided with clear direction to complete designs and take responsibility for developing and growing their team.
- Holding regular team meetings (to include sub-consultants) in order to plan the immediate work, co-ordinate disciplines and identify/escalate any risks on delivery.
- Ensure designs are managed within programme and within the budget provided.
- Ensure a resource tracking is in place in conjunction with the project manager and that a robust forward pipeline is in place.
- Managing and authorising Technical documentation and pro-actively liaising with Highways England Technical specialists.
- Managing resource allocations to ensure team members are fully utilised on the highest priority tasks.
- Drive teams to Identify appropriate traffic management arrangements in conjunction with specialists to ensure projects are buildable and traffic management is fit for purpose.
- Ensuring that the requirements of all relevant Authorities and Statutory bodies are incorporated into designs as appropriate.
- Undertaking the checking/authorising of designs, studies and reports prepared by their team and providing effective feedback.
- Ensuring that all tender and contract documentation is prepared in accordance with MCHW and DMRB.
- Take and encourage a positive approach in relation to partnering with the Client, the supply chain and all other internal and external teams.
- Encouraging innovation and continuous improvement within the team and displaying sound independent judgement.
- Ensuring compliance with the Quality and Environmental Management Systems.
- Complying with relevant Health & Safety legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations and adopting a pro-active risk management/mitigation approach.
- Liaising with Delivery and commercial management teams as required to ensure buildability reviews are undertaken and projects navigate through to construction efficiently.
- Performing other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
Typical Skills/Experience as follows:
- Preferably a Chartered Engineer.
- Great and pro-active management skills with confidence to grow teams in accordance with a growing workload.
- Great resource management skills ensuring projects are resourced with the most effective staff
- Strong technical skills and experience in a combination of Highways asset management, highways Design and improvement schemes.
- Proven project management of highway projects or tasks up to £5M and delivery to programme and budget in a safe environment.
- Display sound independent judgment.
- Developing, mentoring and supervision of Highway Design staff.
- Robust working knowledge of highways Technical documents within the DMRB.
- Experience managing the development of contract documents in accordance with relevant Highway contracts.
- To be able to work with or advise key clients on technical issues in the highway structures sector at a senior level.
- Ability to recognise defects on highway structures and recommend suitable repair options.
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.