+44 (0)151 666 8922
6 months ago
The Health and Safety Manager is responsible for supporting the Lead Project Health and Safety Manager ensure the continued safety of personnel working on the project, LU customers and the general public through the provision of leadership, guidance and support compliant with legislation, client requirements and industry best practice.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate a solid background in construction with min 3 years rail construction experience as essential, preferably on LU/DLR Operational Property. The individual will have a clear ‘understanding’ of the role of a project safety manager and how this ‘understanding’ is used to influence the project team and stakeholders throughout the construction lifecycle. The candidate will not be expected to ‘have all the answers’ but should be equipped to ask key and challenging questions of responsible managers such that the ‘understanding’ is shared with and developed throughout the project team.
- A really good team player who can work independently and drive his/her own workload
- Enjoys work in a fast moving demanding 24/7 environment and can remain composed under pressure.
- Ability to hold challenging conversations
- Although not full time, the candidate must be able to work nights – during LU ‘engineering’ hours on a regular basis
- Providing support to the Lead Health and Safety Manager and Stations construction team in the safe delivery of the contract through the implementation of the companies Health and Safety Policy and BSCU Health and Safety Strategy
- Ensure project compliance with statutory legislation, LU standards and rail regulations, contractual safety requirements and industry best practice.
- Assist in the preparation and review of risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- Actively promote behaviours key to a positive health and safety culture.
- Support inspection and monitoring activities and effective use of the arising data
- Participate in developing and presenting inductions and training as required
- Assist in investigations into accidents and incidents and support the implementation of corrective actions.
- Ensure that key H&S data including incident, monitoring, and audit findings are recorded in the appropriate management database and used to inform learning and drive forward improvement.
- Visibly active both within the office and site environments
- Assist with the capturing of lessons learned and the dissemination of the information through the creation of toolbox talks and safety briefings.
- Set a personal example of the behaviours that positively influence H&S attitudes
- Deputise for the health and Safety Manager as directed
- Rail (ORR) legislation /LU QUENSH Conditions and associated standards and general construction H&S knowledge
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and verbal and be comfortable communicating at all levels throughout the project.
- Minimum NEBOSH Certificate and demonstrate a level of experience relevant for the role. Able to demonstrate an understanding of the role of Safety Management in a Design and Build construction team.
- Sentinel card holder preferable
- Ability to influence both project team and key stakeholders.
- A clear thinker with strong interpersonal skills
- Major transport (LU) infrastructure construction project experience
- Understanding of Behaviour and its influence on Culture.
- Understanding of Occupational Health Initiatives
- Experience of delivering training and conducting presentations
Scantec Personnel Limited is acting as an employment business and an employment agency. For contract or interim roles (and unless otherwise stated), all pay rates stated are on a Limited Company basis.
Due to the high volume of applications Scantec receives it is not always possible to acknowledge every application. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted within 28 days. If you don’t hear from us within 28 days your application has not been shortlisted at this time, to be considered for future vacancies please register with us on our website.